Lusting for a tropical vacation this January?
Yeah, me too.
Dare I say these bars are the next best thing?
While I love all things chocolate, sometimes I’m in the mood for something a bit more light and fruity. These bars hit the spot. Close your eyes and enjoy the tropical sweetness of coconut and apricots in these flaky bars.
Not in paradise yet? Well, these squares also sneak whole wheat flour & dried fruit in. Higher in fiber than your average cookie bar, consider them the perfect dessert to get you into your tropical vacation swimwear.
… Or to enjoy with your morning coffee. I admit I ate these for both dessert & breakfast!
Combine 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1 tsp. baking powder together in a large bowl.
Beat in 1 1/2 sticks Earth Balance baking sticks, cut into small pieces. This works better when the butter is at room temperature, not straight out of the fridge. Using a hand or stand mixer, beat until a crumbly dough forms.
Make an easy to lift carrier for your bars: drape aluminum foil over the ends of an 8X8 bar pan.
Spray with non-stick cooking spray (or lightly grease) and pour 1/2 of the oat mixture in.
Using your hands or the back of a spoon, gently spread the oat and flour mixture until it forms a layer on the bottom of the pan.
Mix together 1 cup apricot marmalade, 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots, and 1/3 unsweetened coconut flakes. Pour on top of the oat layer and spread until it reaches the edges.
Pour the rest of the oat mixture on top of the apricot layer and gently pat down until the crust forms.
Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes until golden brown on top.
Remove from the pan and let cool.
Cut into squares and enjoy!
I just had another one with a big cup of tea! Perfect afternoon pick me-up before I go teach kickboxing.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ sticks Earth Balance buttery sticks
- 1 cup apricot marmalade
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Combine the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, & oats into a large bowl.
- Dice the earth balance sticks and drop them into the bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, gently beat the butter into the flour mixture until a crumb forms.
- Press ½ of the oat mixture into an 8X8 square pan (either lightly sprayed or set with aluminum foil and then sprayed). Use your fingers or the back of a spoon to create an even layer.
- Combine the coconut, apricot marmalade and chopped apricots. Spread onto the oat layer.
- Press the rest of the oat mixture down onto the apricot layer and spread out until it covers the apricot layer.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, let cool and cut into squares.
What’s your favorite cookie bar flavor?